Skip to content
Five tips to Choose the Best Exterior Paint Color for your Home
- Look around in person and online. You are bound to find a house you absolutely love the look of. Consider mimicking their color scheme on your own home. Now, look carefully at your house and determine the best ways to apply color in order to achieve the desired look.
- Once you’ve narrowed it down to just a few options, head to the store and request some sample paint of your favorite two or three choices. Don’t forget to think about the trim of your home too. You’ll need a color for that as well. Go home, and try these colors on a few spots of your home. Take a look at these spots during different times of the day in order to get a feel for the color in different sunlight settings.
- Consider a lesser percentage of color. If the colors you’ve picked don’t seem quite right. Identify the one that you like best. Return to the paint shop and ask to have the color mixed in a lesser percentage. Many places will do this. A subtle adjustment like this might be all it takes to find the color your truly love.
- If you are tied to a community with a homeowner’s association, make sure the newly chosen colors are allowed, or that you seek approval as needed before proceeding with the job.
- Painting the exterior of your house is a big job. Be sure to hire reliable contractors or educate yourself first before beginning the project on your own. There are many steps in terms of prep and application to get the best results.